The Department of Internal Medicine at St. John's Episcopal Hospital provides general internal medicine care, as well as services in all internal medicine subspecialties. Internal medicine physicians—also known as internists or general practitioners – have specialized training focused on the prevention and treatment of adult diseases.
In addition to general internal medicine, the Department of Internal Medicine at St. John's Episcopal Hospital offers the following subspecialties:
- Allergy and Immunology, which cares for conditions of the immune system.
- Cardiology,which treats the heart, blood vessels and circulation of blood throughout the body.
- Dermatology, which handles conditions of the skin
- Endocrinology, which focuses on hormones and the endocrine system, including thyroid conditions.
- Geriatrics, which provides for the health and well-being of older adults
- Hematology, which treats disorders of the blood, bone marrow and lymphatic systems, including anemia, Hodgkin's disease, leukemia and lymphoma.
- Infectious Diseases, which deals with all kinds of infections including those caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites, as well as infections due to HIV/AIDS.
- Nephrology, which treats kidney diseases.
- Neurology, which focuses on the functioning of the nerves and nervous system.
- Oncology, which is the medical treatment of cancer and includes chemotherapy and targeted therapies.
- Palliative care, which focuses on reducing the severity of disease symptoms and improving quality of life.
- Pulmonary / Critical Care, pulmonologists diagnose and treat diseases of the lungs and bronchial tubes. Critical care experts are concerned with the management of life-threatening conditions that may require organ support and intensive monitoring.
- Rheumatology, which treats conditions of the joints, muscles and bones, including arthritis, gout, lupus and fibromyalgia.
For more information on internal medicine at St. John's Episcopal Hospital, call 718-869-7672. To find an internist or internal medicine specialist at St. John's, click here and choose an Internal Medicine or one of the subspecialties in the specialty tab.
For an appointment in one of our specialty clinics please call 718-869-7690.