The Ambulatory Surgery Center
The Ambulatory Surgery Unit offers professionalism and caring. The excellent nursing and medical staff is just one of many reasons why ambulatory surgery patients have expressed great satisfaction with their experience at St. John’s. Ambulatory Surgery at St. John’s offers:
- Highly qualified physicians and anesthesiologists who perform more than 2,500 arthroscopic, gynecologic, ENT, pediatric and other procedures a year;
- Superb nursing and medical support staff with extensive operating and recovery room experience and Social Services and Nutrition support;
- State-of-the-art surgical, ENT and urology suites;
- Backed by a range of medical and surgical subspecialties and services available only in a hospital setting.
Your Pre-Surgical Testing and Registration
Pre-surgical testing - prior to surgery - will take place in the Admitting Center. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to allow time for registration.
Preparing for Registration
The registrar in the Admitting Center will take your personal and insurance information. Please bring the following documents in order to expedite your registration:
- Documents from any recent physicals given by your private doctor;
- Medical reports from recent outside testing you may have had;
- Complete list of prescription and non-prescription medications including dosages;
- Photo identification that lists home address;
- Insurance information including insurance cards with account numbers;
- Additional documents that may be helpful, including signed consent forms and a health care proxy, if it has been given to you;
- For patients younger than 19 years old, immunization records.
Your Pre-Surgical Testing
You will be asked to complete a questionnaire, a medical history and be given a physical examination (if you have documentation from your private physician of recent testing or a physical they may not have to be repeated).
Certain types of surgery may also require blood tests and an x-ray or EKG. You may also need to see the physical therapist and/or social worker to make arrangements for rehabilitation or home health care. Please do not eat anything after midnight the night before your blood tests.
If you are taking anticoagulants such as aspirin, heparin, Plavix or Coumadin, please be sure to have a discussion with your doctor about stopping these medications prior to surgery.
The Day Before Your Surgery
Please arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home after surgery. Because of anesthesia, driving or going home alone is not permitted.
If you will not be home the day before surgery or if any changes arise, please call:
- between 6:30 am and 5 pm: 718-869-7704;
- after 5 pm: 718-869-7218.
If your health changes before your surgery in any way, or if you develop a cold, cough, fever or chills, please contact your surgeon or the Ambulatory Surgery Center at 718-869-7704.
Medication, Eating, and Drinking Before Surgery
Please carefully follow your doctor’s instructions regarding medications, skin care or bowel preparations, as well as the instructions outlined below. Do not eat or drink anything after midnight prior to surgery. Sips of water to take medications are allowed.
The Day of Your Surgery
Before You Leave Home
- Please leave all valuables, including money and jewelry, at home.
- Please remove all piercings. Glasses, contact lenses or dental appliances should be given to a family member to hold or to the Ambulatory Surgery nurse.
- A bath or shower is allowed on the morning of surgery.
- When brushing your teeth, please do not swallow any water.
- Makeup, lipstick, or finger- or toenail polish should be removed.
- Long hair should be braided or tied back.
- If needed, please bring crutches or a walker.
- If you have a completed and notarized advance directive, power of attorney or living will, please bring it with you.
When You Arrive at the Hospital
- Please report to the Admitting Office.
- Your family member or guest may wait in the Ambulatory Surgery Center waiting room and will be updated on your progress throughout your procedure.
Important Telephone Numbers
- Admitting Center, 1st Floor
Ambulatory Surgery, 2nd Floor
T: 718-869-7704 6:30 am to 5 pm
T: 718-869-7218 after 5 pm
The Pre-Surgical Testing Department, located within the Admitting Office, is open 7:30 am to 2:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
If you have any questions or concerns please call 718-869-7704.