Welcome to St. John's Episcopal Hospital Medical Library. The role of the Medical Library is clearly defined by the American Hospital Association in the following statement:
"The Health Science Library is a vital center serving the hospitals objectives of patient care, education, and research. It is an essential source of knowledge, capable of generating information economically and efficiently".
The standards, policies and procedures of the Medical Library of St. John's Episcopal Hospital, are directed towards fulfillment of this role.
- The Medical Library is located on the second floor of the Utility Building.
- The Library is open and staffed Monday through Friday, from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
During off hours, weekends and holidays, users MUST use their ID card to gain access.
- Borrowing privileges are extended to all Medical, House, Nursing Staff, Students, and other staff, providing they have proper ID. Library regulations must be observed.
- An academic atmosphere conducive to study and research.
- Circulation of books.
- Card catalogue to view the holdings of books in the Medical Library.
- Reference materials, directories, dictionaries, and encyclopedias.
- Interlibrary Loan - journal articles not available in the Medical Library can be obtained through interlibrary loan. Interlibrary loans can take up to 5 working days, so please plan accordingly. The library is a member of the following networks: Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island (BQSI), Medical Libraries of Long Island (MEDLI), Basic Health Sciences Libraries (BHSL), Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO), and Free Share.
- Since we are member of METRO, METRO referral cards are available to Medical Library patrons, which allow access to another library's collection for research in a specific subject for a limited time.
- Photocopy Service - The Medical Library has a photocopy machine to do limited amount of photocopying (up to 20 pages per person, per day). Excessive photocopying will not be allowed. The library staff does not photocopy for patrons, but can assist you, should you require the use of the copy machine.
- The Medical Library has 16 (sixteen) computer workstations available for library patrons. Each workstation has access to: Corel WordPerfect, Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Access, and the Internet.
- The Medical Library has wireless capabilities.
- Computers must be used for medical education purposes only. Anyone caught misusing the computers will be reported to administration and department chairman for disciplinary action.
- Do not download any software or images to the computers.
- In order to protect your work, please do not store information on the hard drive. Bring your own flash drive, or floppy disks to store your work.
- Do not reboot the computers. If you are experiencing any computer related problems, please ask the Library Staff for assistance.
- Any virus alert messages should be reported immediately to the library staff, or the Help Desk at: (516) 349-4629.
- No EATING or DRINKING in the Computer Lab, Library, or Reading Room.
Your input means a lot to us. We welcome your Comments, and Suggestions. Please print out our suggestion form and submit to the staff.
The Library Staff:
Kalpana Desai, MLS, AHIP, Medical Librarian
Curtis Carson, MLIS, AHIP, Assistant Librarian
Telephone: (718) 869-7699 or (718) 869-7698
Fax: (718) 869-8528
Information on these pages was prepared by the Medical Library at St. John's Episcopal Hospital. Neither the St. John's Episcopal Hospital Medical Library nor any of its employees, makes any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information.
Transmission of any material in violation of any U. S. or State regulation is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, copyrighted material; threatening or obscene material; or material protected by trade secret.